09 September 2012

My new poison?

I want pretty earrings for my maids.
Also, I want them to match their dress and not cost a fortune.
 
After looking on etsy, I never found any I loved. Plus they all seemed to expensive! I didn't like the thought of spending $15 to $20 (per bridesmaid) on a pair of earrings if I didn't love them. So theres a huge bead store near my new apartment that I've been wanting to check out, and I thought it would be cheaper to just make the earrings myself...
 
But really, I've never made jewelry in my life so I had no idea what I'd need.
 
 
Cue crappy picture of the supplies I ended up with:

Four colors of beads
Earring hooks and backs
Jump rings
Metal thread
Three feet of chain
And handy dandy little pliers.
 
Side note: At the end of all this, I don't think I saved any money at all! If I divide the amount I spent by the number of bridesmaids I have, it still comes out to $15 to $20 a pair. 


I started off by attaching a section of chain to earring hooks with a jump ring.
 
One more side note: Making jewelry is a LOT harder than it looks. Like a lot. I botched many many earrings before coming up with a style that I liked and was able to do...and the woman I bought them from thought it was HILARIOUS that I had no idea what I was doing, yet I was making jewelry for a wedding. I even asked her at one point to come help me snip the chain because I didn't know how haha. She made sure to advise me not to charge.


Second step, and the most time consuming, is adding my pretty little pearls to the chain.
 
At first, I didn't know whether to leave them dangly like this or what...I kind of wanted statement earrings since a necklace would look weird with my bridesmaids dress' neckline...and earrings might be their only accessory besides shoes and a bouquet...



But then I bundled them up like this and liked it better.
 
I think I would wear them.
And I had so so so so much fun making them...
But Im a little self conscious and nervous that nobody will like them, so if you have anything bad to say, you arent allowed to comment - and if you have anything good to say, comment five times.
 
Ha thanks.
 
 

4 comments

Ashley Jelovic said...

You should consider selling them.. if you do, email me and I'd love to buy some :)

ashleyjelovic@yahoo.com

Jenna said...

They are adorable! Wow, you did great. I actually bought similar earrings for my bridesmaids and they cost a lot!!

his little lady said...

what fun! i wish i was crafty and creative like this!
xo TJ

Alycia (Crowley Party) said...

LOOK AT YOU CRAFTY LADY! I love them :) &the fact that you made them makes it even better - from the heart!

Copyright © 2014 Rose Gold & Ringlets | All Rights Reserved | Blog Design By: Kailyn Marie Designs