20 February 2013

A Controversial Post (Sorry Hipster Followers)

Sometimes, things just need to be called out when they're overrated.
 
 
Let's talk about coconut oil. You've seen it around as the new trendy fat to cook with, but I have a hunch it isn't as healthy as Pinterest claims it is. By the time I finished reading this list of 52 ways to use it, the suggestion was to eat 9 spoonfuls a day. Yikes. Good thing I paid attention in Physiology today and know that just because it isn't an animal by product, a saturated fat is still a saturated fat. Your body doesn't care if it grew on a tree; too much will raise your LDL cholesterol. Which, fyi, is what clogs your arteries. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a great substitute for some of the other saturated fats in your life, but in my completely non professional opinion, you would need to cut out ALL other sources of fat if you wanted to eat 9 spoonfuls a day.

That being said, I have not tried it topically and do want to someday see for myself if it really will improve the health and appearance of my skin and hair. Standby.

Semi-related side note: Gluten is nothing but a protein found in most whole grains. I don't believe for a minute that cutting it out of your diet will benefit you in any way, unless you are allergic.
 
.
.
.
.
 
 
ALL I'M TRYING TO SAY, IS EDUCATE YOURSELF BEFORE MAKING DECISIONS.



11 comments

Chelsea said...

Preach it, sister. I am totally with you on this one. I would totally deep condition with coconut oil, and I hear that it is good to put in food storage, but there is no that I'm going to eat it by the spoonful. I don't need to gain like, fifty pounds this month.

Totally with you on gluten, too. As much as I'd like to elaborate on this one, I'll spare you the sermon, because you hit the nail on the head. Haha!

Desiree Macke said...

Amen! Especially about the gluten. Those "glutey free" diets do nothing more than annoy me.

Jessica said...

My husband is allll about coconut oil. but eating 9 spoonfuls a day sounds a bit ridiculous.

Sara SHOEmaker said...

this has nothing to do with your post haha but I realized from your blog title that you have the same name as the family on Downton Abbey! the Crawleys :) do you watch it??



The House of Shoes

Kate said...

fat is fat. i'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks that. however, i do LOVE doing coconut hair treatments and it is awesome for chapped lips.

Shay said...

Just like anything, i'm sure this works well in some aspects for some people and not so well in others! 9 spoonfuls seems a bit much...I was leary about the gluten thing as well. My sister stopped eating it and that cleared her intestinal issues, though. So like you said-its definitely good for some people!

meghan silva said...

That is very interesting indeed .

xo Meg

http://meghansilva.blogspot.com

Chelsea said...

I'm interested in seeing what your results are.

Sally said...

Semi-related side note also.....coconut milk seems to be a big thing lately too....but ick.....I can't stand it!! Costco sample went in the trash!

s + b said...

I DO love coconut oil for a few different things, BUT I get your point. Moderation in all things. And gluten-free diets do WONDERS for those with gluten intolerance but are silly for people who don't. It's definitely a good idea to be educated before jumping on any bandwagons ;)

josie renee said...

TOUCHE. I love coconut oil for my hair and skin but ingesting it for health benefits? i'd pass. And this gluten free stuff is clearly a fad for those who do not have celiac disease. enough is enough!

Copyright © 2014 Rose Gold & Ringlets | All Rights Reserved | Blog Design By: Kailyn Marie Designs