11 February 2013

Crossing CPR off my Bucket List

Yesterday at work (I work in a hospital) there was a code blue (aka an adult medical emergency, aka someone is dying) and I happened to be right in the room next door at the time. I've been waiting so long for my chance, so I ran in, gloved up, and said "I'm a first timer, I want to do compressions." Let me tell you, it really is all it's cracked up to be. It was fascinating to feel his pulse while someone else was doing chest compressions and knowing that there was blood pumpin in there even though his own heart couldn't do it just then.


(from)

PROS
1. Save a life
2. Be in on the action
3. Gain experience
4. When his own heart took over. (It is hard work being a heart!)
5. High fives all around afterwards

CONS
1. Cardio. You're sweating after, like 15 compressions
2. The human ribcage wasn't made for CPR
3. It was my first time and I was scared of doing it wrong
4. I hurt my shoulder somehow?
5. Can you overdose on adrenaline? I feel like I got hit by a truck today.


I'm serious about that getting hit by a truck thing, too. I guess that could also be from the fact that after work, I stopped by a family birthday party, and AFTER that...my car broke down on the way home. Did I mention I live and hour and a half away from my job? There wasn't a lot of sleeping being done last night.

Needless to say, I'm taking it easy today.
 If I start feeling ambitious though, definitely trying this out!
 

9 comments

Athalia said...

Wow you saved a life, that's amazing! Can't imagine how that would feel afterwards. Glad it was a positive experience for you :)

Hearts & Crafts Boutique said...

That is awesome that you were able to successfully save someone. I am CPR certified {I needed it for my job} but I know that I'd FREAK OUT if someone actually needed it. My test dummie died so I don't think keeping a human alive is in my future.

kailyn marie said...

GOOD JOB GIRL!!!!!

Richelle Lynn Garn said...

How terrifying/exciting/ahhh! I'm sure you did well. Thank you for posting on our blog today. We love new friends.

nate and amy crandell said...

Way to go girl! And CUTE CUTE nail idea! Hope you have a wonderful Valentines :)

his little lady said...

Obsessing over those nails!! So perfect for the upcoming holiday ;)
xo TJ

Life as a Bird said...

I love those valentine nails! I need to do them before it's too late!
Cute blog.
Kimbird.blogspot.com

s + b said...

That is awesome, Laynah! Wow.

And those nails - SO cute. And time consuming? Post a picture after you get yours done, okay? I want to see how they look.

Punctuation Mark said...

That's amazing of you!!!! Happy Valentines Day!!!!

Copyright © 2014 Rose Gold & Ringlets | All Rights Reserved | Blog Design By: Kailyn Marie Designs