25 March 2013

My Decorating Challenge: Living Room Edition

Up until recently, paint splatters/messy handprints on hot pink walls, and glue-sticking magazine clippings onto my one wall covered in cardboard was the extent of my decorating skills. Proof:
 


But now I have to share my space with someone, and I gotta admit - I was nervous about learning how to make our little apartment feel less like a teenage girl cave and more like a home. This was made more challenging by the fact that Matthew and I acquired all sorts of mis-matched furniture when we got married. Now it's my job to make all of those different pieces flow together in one space - and after months of brainstorming, I have come up with a plan of attack.

Here's what we have to work with (for the living/dining room):
- Black entertainment center (complete with a free TV and DVD player! Score)
- Brown leather couch
- Wooden dining room table
- One large red and tan rug with green accents

The rug is so big, that it kind of steals the show. Coming up with a design scheme around it has not been easy, but in the end I decided on mostly all neutrals with a little bit of red thrown in, and black accents. I got lucky and found this vinyl wall art from Pier One for $14.99, and I LOVE it because it brings all the colors together nicely. The lamp is from Target and it is the apple of my eye, because it gives off a soft cozy glow. Besides those two things, the living room is still a work in progress, but this is what I'm picturing:

Living Room



As for the dining room, I just carried it over. Got some black fold up chairs, and cream colored seat cushions to go with them at Target. We originally had red table cloths, but they weren't working for us because they stained easy, so I went to Bed Bath and Beyond to pick up some  brown circular indoor/outdoor ones that can handle our messy eating! The container on the table is actually a cream color, and the vase filler inside is actually shades of red, but this is the best I could come up with...


Dining Room

 
The whole process has been super fun so far! It's like, when you were playing house as a kid, except now you're all grown up and have a hot man and a budget to actually work with. Matthew is funny because he actually cares about the design scheme, and will voice his concern if he thinks I'm getting too eccentric. In fact, he helped me pick out the clock when I was making the living room set on Polyvore, because the one I had chosen wasn't working haha!

6 comments

Thien Do said...

How neat! I find that I either ban decorating thoughts from my head or I just let them take over and shamefully spend way too much money. I always think it's nice when the other half will actually contribute. :) sure makes things a bit easier. I suppose some people could say it makes it harder too haha

rachel said...

oh the joys (and challenges) of sharing space!

i love that target lamp...looks perfect for sitting under, snuggling up, and reading books!

plus, isn't polyvore so great for this envisioning stage?! :)

nate and amy crandell said...

I Love decorating! I wanna see some pictures!! And that's awesome your hubby cares too :)

Stephanie said...

I hope you share pictures with us of what you came up with! I can't wait to see it!

karajean said...

I have had such a tough time decorating my home. Between all the hand-me-down furniture we got, the fact that Scott is super picky, and the fact that I don't care that much about design, it's pretty much been a nightmare. Mostly I am just trying to add color here and there b/c right now our house is very brown.

Rachel said...

This is great, looks very homey and very grown up. I love the birdie pillow! Isn't the decorating process fun? -♥- Rachel (For the Birds)

Copyright © 2014 Rose Gold & Ringlets | All Rights Reserved | Blog Design By: Kailyn Marie Designs