14 May 2014

Tolerance as it applies to the abortion debate.

I have something weighing heavy on my mind and I just don't think it will let me rest until I throw it out onto the blank screen before me. Feel free to discontinue reading if discussing the abortion debate renders you incapable of common courtesy (friendly reminder: this blog exists to serve me).

I read this article this morning. It's written from the point of view of a woman who has had an abortion and feels like she deserves to be recognized on mother's day. First of all, this is insulting to every mom ever who has selflessly given all the time, life, and love that she has to offer for the interest of her children. I could go on and on about the injustice of it. So I got mad (typical human response when you don't like something, right?). Then I started thinking about her baby. To me, her baby and I have a lot in common. My mother got pregnant at 16 by a married man, and was advised by many to simply abort me. I'm sure that must have been tempting for her, because having a baby IS inconvenient, even for someone who is ready for it. The difference between that baby and me is that my mother decided to endure the pain, inconvenience, and even shame of carrying me to full term to give me a chance at life. I have felt the wind on my face, danced like nobody was watching, had my heartbroken, and felt the true happiness that comes from knowing that my savior Jesus Christ loves me - all things that her baby will never be able to do. As I was wondering who her baby might have been, and how proud of herself that woman is for tossing a whole entire life away without so much as batting an eye, I started to cry. 

So here's the thing, pro-lifers, I understand that it's upsetting. I get it. But please please please please STOP THE HATEFUL COMMENTS. Most of us are Christian, and it makes us look terrible when you say things like "I hope you are sold into sex slavery." Um, nobody deserves that. Let's just all take a deep breath, remember who we are, work on defending our beliefs firmly but with tact, and trust that God will take care of it. 


PS - I was actually SO upset about this woman's blatant disregard for human life that I emailed her. And she actually responded! And yes - her response was ridiculous, and yes - we are on completely opposite sides of this debate...but we were still able to have a civil correspondence. This would not have been the case had I emailed her while I was still mad, I'm sure.

Summary:
  1. I believe that we are all on a crash course making the best decisions we can with the information we have.
  2. I believe that God will not punish a decision if the decider TRULY thought that he or she was doing the right thing.
  3. I believe that deep down, the majority of women who have an abortion still have a sliver of conscience left that tells them it is wrong (even though it may be legal!) and they not only have to live their life with a quiet but ever-present guilt, but will have to answer for their actions one day UNLESS they become truly repentant.
  4. I believe that there can be disagreement without disrespect.


That is all I have to say about that.

5 comments

Brittany said...

Before reading this post and that article I had similar thoughts about how it seems people like to celebrate everyone on Mother's day that comes in contact with a child and while I think it is important that kids have many positive role models I just cannot understand how people think that it is the same thing as being a mom day in and day out.

And I am not one to debate often about these things but that article was just ridiculous and it is so frustrating that people think that way.

Kenzie Smith said...

I think that when it comes to topics like this, it is best to be as professional and respectful as possible when replying. Just because it doesn't do any one any good to get upset, you know? A lot of people get crazy offended and say some nasty things in regards to what upset them, and as much as it might make you feel better it would just cause a war. If that all makes sense. I am definitely going to be checking out the article! 99% of the time I read articles like this I don't even comment.

Shyree said...

Well said.

Roman Garcia said...

I believe that abortion should only proceed to carry it out when people become a violation, it is a very controversial topic, clear respect the views of everyone.

Roman Garcia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Copyright © 2014 Rose Gold & Ringlets | All Rights Reserved | Blog Design By: Kailyn Marie Designs