02 June 2014

I told my husband I wanted a thigh gap.

Big mistake...huge. 
First of all, I only said it because just about every girl on Pinterest has one. 


And I know that's totally a 'if they jump off a bridge would you?' mentality but after seeing so many pictures of classy, well dressed, seemingly put together women and noticing that 95% of them had thigh gaps, I felt like I needed one to be all of those things. I felt like all of my outfits would be so much cuter if only I had a couple inches of space to separate my legs. 



^ This picture is me at my thinnest. Back when I ran everyday and was breaking track records for my high school. Even then I didn't have a thigh gap. Obviously this means that I don't have the body for it, and in order for me to have a thigh gap I would need to drop to an unhealthy weight for my body type...but even back when this picture was taken I was self conscious about my size! I didn't understand why I was active and still had thicker thighs than all of the girls on my team! It took me a long time to realize that hurdles require more muscle than the long distance runners. 

My husband knows all about the insecurities that I have, but when I told my him that the other day (the only time I've ever said it out loud) even I realized how unhealthy it sounded. He told me flat out that if I had a thigh gap, I would be infinitely LESS attractive to him and the fact that I wanted one was a huge red flag. I had this epiphany where I realized it really WAS unhealthy to want something like that (also, thinspiration boards are the devil). If I'm not happy with my body now, I certainly wouldn't be happy with my body if I had a thigh gap. I might even be a little less happy because there would be no ice cream in my life, haha. But seriously, I am living life the wrong way if my happiness is influenced by how many inches I have between my thighs. I'm at a perfectly healthy weight right now and it's kind of scary how easy it was for me to be convinced otherwise.



11 comments

Jennifer Martinez said...

lol you're too funny!! Sometimes I try my hardest in pictures to arrange my legs so that I have a pretend "gap" :P obviously, it works about once every six hundred and three pictures. Who needs it?? You're beautiful!!!

Elena Ridley said...

Pinterest is really good about making us all feel bad about ourselves sometimes. So many pics of women with thigh gaps, big boobs, and six pack abs that just isn't realistic for any of us! You're gorgeous girl! I do love those high waisted bell bottoms!!

Shyree said...

We girls are so silly sometimes. I have always envied women with thicker legs, instead of "chicken legs" like me. I guess the grass is always greener.

Laurie Olsen said...

I feel the same way when I see a perfectly decorated home. It really could apply to so many areas of our lives. Pinterest man... it can get you.

ashleynicole @ [real life, real love] said...

The fact that it made your husband mad is the cutest thing to me :) You got a winner . . . keep him close! ;)

Chelsee W said...

Aw I think it is super cute that he love you like you are that is amazing. I agree that you have a winner. Thanks so much for linking up today for the Let's Be friends blog hop!

Rachel S. said...

Pinterest is so mean sometimes! I am glad your husband said that! He is a sweet sweet man!

Leslie Lukens Martin said...

Way to put it into perspective! Thanks!

Jennifer Martinez said...

LOL saw this just now and thought of you!!


http://www.pinterest.com/pin/345510602635506572/

Heather said...

Great post! I'm pretty sure it's genetically impossible for me to have a thigh gap and it's important to keep HEALTH in perspective.

Katie Did What said...

Girl, you look AMAZING, and a silly thigh gap is just.. well.. silly. Some people can have it, some can't, I'm pretty sure it's basically genetic. So way to rock your gorgeous self! And your husband is awesome. :)

Thanks for linking up!

xo

Copyright © 2014 Rose Gold & Ringlets | All Rights Reserved | Blog Design By: Kailyn Marie Designs