21 June 2014

Why wasn't I at the Pantages last night? Good question.

We were on our way to see the show last night, tickets in hand. I had my leopard shoes on, Mattie had his blue stripey shirt on, and we stopped on the way there to enjoy a chubbyburger (aka Fatburger). 


Then our car broke down...like, ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! Our car breaks down on the way to the freaking Pantages, only 15 minutes away at this point?! We were on the freeway when it started shaking and making crazy sounds, and Matthew was nervous because he couldn't figure out what was wrong. So we turned around and drove home slowly on the backroads. Update: Turns out that we hit a groove in the road the wrong way and it ripped the inside of our tire so it almost blew out, but not quite (it didn't look flat from the outside).

Here we are: clearly NOT at the Pantages Theatre. 



Not gonna lie, I cried. Then I got over it. Haha, Matthew was upset too and kept saying things like it was the universe trying to tell us not to skip class levels...because "people who go to the Pantages don't have cars that break down on them on the way there" and "a chandelier better fall on two empty seats tonight so we know this is an act of God!" 

The whole ordeal reminded me of these beautiful, wise words (so naturally I posted them on instagram):


What the instagram world doesn't know...is that that is so much harder for me than it should be! I have been having a heckuva time trying to control my attitude/temper lately. When things don't go my way, I complain about it! Profusely! It dawned on me recently that I am a grown up and should probably be able to handle things more gracefully than that. Like, here I am wanting to be a mother and I can't even control my own temper tantrums. Thats a recipe for disaster... Nobody likes when things don't go their way, but that's life and I have to learn to accept that bad things are going to happen.

Poor Matthew is so patient with me, I don't know how he puts up with it. So for the past week, I have been giving myself near constant pep talks in my head, especially when I am upset. "Smile. Yes. Now talk - without whining! Explain your feelings calmly and evenly. You can do it! You are a big girl!" Haha so ridiculous yet so necessary.

The funny thing is, since I started doing this - I'VE HAD A LOT OF PRACTICE. I'm pretty sure Matthew decided to switch roles with me, because HE has been the mean and whiny one lately and was possibly PMSing this week or something. I don't know. But I did so good at not being whiny back at him, and yesterday he called me and apologized and said he was going to take me to the show. Then the CAR happened! Obviously Heavenly Father wants to make sure I get plenty of practice keeping my attitude in check. I think I handled everything a lot better than I would have last week, so I am proud of myself. Here's to more adventures and far less ordeals!

4 comments

Jennifer Martinez said...

I almost died reading the part about not skipping class levels. Too funny!! Keep us posted on the chandelier ;)

.candace. said...

Ahhh I'm so sorry!!!! DANG CARS!! But really, I'm sure you are better than you give yourself credit for. I also love dthe idea of 'not skipping class levels' - ha!

ashleynicole @ [real life, real love] said...

What is Pantages? And I'm sorry things didn't go your way, but way to go with the changing your attitude thing! I need to start practicing that, too . . . ;)

Kimberly said...

I'm so sorry!! That sucks. I had plans with my brother Rob last Saturday, and in the morning he texted me that he was flying back to LA a day early. I cried the WHOLE DAY. Total tantrum. It gave me a little more empathy for my kids when they're having a hard time accepting something that seems trivial to me, it may not be trivial to THEM. So, you'll have more empathy for your future children is what I'm trying to say :)

Copyright © 2014 Rose Gold & Ringlets | All Rights Reserved | Blog Design By: Kailyn Marie Designs