15 January 2015

My Birth Photography Experience

So as I mentioned...last month, I think? I've decided that I want to be a birth photographer. People these days take pictures of the books they read, when they change their oil, and lunch twice a week to share with instagram, and I think that if those things deserve to be documented then so does birth, haha! I am so incredibly fascinated with the human body and the whole pregnancy/birthing process AND I love love love taking pictures, so when I got the lightbulb moment that I could experience both at once in this unique way, I got very excited. 

A few months ago, I somehow got two local women to agree to let me photograph their births. Strangers that I had never met. Both due in January. And wouldn't you know it, they went into labor on the same day! Thank heavens they were giving birth in the same hospital, but yowza. I was running from room to room all day...19 hours, in fact. I don't think I would have had to stay there for as long if it had just been one of them, but since there were two I was scared to guess their progression incorrectly, go home, and miss it! (I got there when they were both 4cms dilated).

And I loved every. single. minute. of those 19 hours. Yes, it was awkward at first...as a former CNA, it felt very strange to be in the hospital and not helping. As a photographer, I am used to ONLY taking pictures of people happy and smiling. It can feel very invasive to take pictures of people in pain or crying, and my job on Monday was to do exactly the opposite!

BUT after I got in and got warmed up, I swear it was the best thing I've ever done. As a CNA (or any healthcare worker, I guess), I only caught a glimpse of the family's story as I jumped from room to room. However, sitting silently in the corner of an L&D room for hours, I got to really see the family's interactions and feel the full cycle of emotion right along with them. It was also much less pressure than any other photoshoot I've ever done, because all I had to do was capture! No posing, no forced smiles, and 19 hours worth of pure human emotion ranging from frustration to joy - THAT is a photographers dream. So I loved it and I hope hope hope I can do this again someday.

Without further adieu, here is the story of how Max and Dyana became parents and met baby Arianna for the first time. 









In between contractions:





The moment they were told that because her water had been broken for so long, she was beginning to get an infection and after 24 hours of painstaking labor, she needed a C-section.


Brother sending her off before the surgery:


Oddly enough, I was the first one in the room after her surgery. Mama was next:


Grandma's first time seeing the baby:


First time mama held her baby after surgery:






















It was truly an honor to be there.

14 comments

Marjorie said...

What an amazing experience! You captured the emotions well.

Brittany Sanchez said...

Great job, Laynah!!! <3

Jenessa Kramer said...

These are INCREDIBLE Laynah! You can do mine in June if you'd like!:)

Fealyclan said...

Whole thing made me smile. You did so good! What an amazing experience to capture. I love it!

Katie @ The Macarthurs Lately said...

I love these! I'm totally tearing up over here! Makes me so excited for July when my little one is due to arrive!

Shyree said...

These are beautiful! They actually made me a little teary eyed. Brought back memories of my experience becoming a parent. I could feel their joy. Great job!

LOVESTRONG said...

Oh I love them! Since my mom will be home with our first born, I have totally thought about who is going to be there to take the pictures??!! AHHH! You did a great job capturing their experience. Beautiful!

Kristie's Blue Jeans said...

You are amazingly talented. This had me tearing up a bit. Such an incredible experience. Congratulations to the family.

Whitney M. @ The Married Me said...

I think you did great! I love birth photography!

Bitz said...

Oh...these are just lovely and you are giving me so much inspiration, Lady. I'm still learning and I remember when my aunt was telling me that I should do some pictures of my cousin's wife during her daughter's birth. I was like "Uhh...maybeeee..." But seeing this, makes me want to do it so much more. Thank you!

Ruling the Ortiz Kingdom"

ashleynicole @ [real life, real love] said...

This is so awesome! Makes me want pictures, too . . . Guess I'll think about that :)

Brittany said...

These are great pictures!! I too have this odd interest on pregnancy/birth. I love it. Your pictures are great and it is so cool that you got to be there and experience the whole thing.

Kenzie Smith said...

Those are all such gorgeous photos! I am so glad that you were able to do this :D

Lauren @ Lot Forty Eight said...

What an amazing experiences that must have been to watch a family's joy as a new baBy was brought to earth. That is a so special! I would love to meet you when I come to LA!!

Copyright © 2014 Rose Gold & Ringlets | All Rights Reserved | Blog Design By: Kailyn Marie Designs