11 February 2015

Yours Truly, The Candy Queen

I eat some form of cake, candy, cookies, or soda every single day…and many days I will have all of the above! Oh and I refuse to drink diet soda. Full sugar for me, baby! Yeah, I am aware that I eat too much sugar, but it’s not that bad because so does the rest of America too, right? On a daily basis I hear someone say “I’m so addicted to sugar!” (which is annoying for one, because the word “addiction” is so grossly overused). But how much sugar actually constitutes an “addiction”? I for one, know that I eat more sugar than the average person, but would I go so far as to say I’m addicted? Um, maybe. It’s probably not a concern though because I’m skinny, right? Ha!

Because of my tendency to come into work, grab a handful or four of candy for breakfast and then mindlessly eat away while I begin my workday, my coworkers have affectionately named me the Candy Queen (and sometimes not-so-affectionately told me that I’m going to be SO fat one day).

To prove them wrong, I cut back. And on my very first day, since I was feeling proud of myself, I decided to count up how many grams of sugar I had had that day. I wanted to compare it to the maximum daily amount of sugar as implemented by the American Heart Association…which is 25g. So guess. Guess how many grams of sugar I had eaten on the first day I “cut back”…FIFTY FIVE! Um, what!? Not gonna lie, I cried. I was having reallyyy bad sugar cravings and could NOT believe that I had had so much sugar when I felt like I had practically none!


My first thought at this point was to cut out all sugar completely. Then I realized that I’m a wimp and would have SUCH a hard time with that – I can’t stand to put myself through the migraines and misery that would surely follow. Instead, I’ve decided to “cut back” to only eating the maximum amount of sugar, haha. So 25g is my limit! My strategy is to eat a LOT of fats and proteins to help make my body feel really full so that I couldn’t eat sugar if I tried. One weird thing about sugar cravings though, is that my body doesn’t care if I just ate a full course meal, it wants sugar anyways! But making it feel really full does seem to be helping a little bit, and the fats help to make me feel like I’m not depriving myself. Avocados have been my BEST FRIEND. I’m on day two and…it’s going okay. I stuffed my face with cherries all morning and my brain tried to reject them/talk me into some cupcakes from a local cupcakery, but I held strong. Then I had cheese and salami, herbal tea, and lots of veggies. At lunch I had 6 girl scout cookies to ward off the migraine that would come if I didn’t (BTW, I am SO migraine prone – I wonder if it’s my incredibly high sugar diet?!).


Oh! I forgot to mention! EXERCISE HELPS SO MUCH! Seriously, try it! I don’t know why, but it works every single time. You HAVE to try it the next time you have a craving, I insist. “They” say (at least, I think I’ve heard this somewhere) that once you go two weeks without something, your body doesn’t crave it as much anymore. So for now I’m waiting for that point and then maybe I’ll further reduce my sugar intake. Feeling good so far :)

8 comments

Kenzie Smith said...

Oh my goodness girl! You are the candy queen ;D That is A LOT of sugar. What if you switched to more fructose sugar like apples, bananas, pears, plums, etc? Maybe you would still get your sweet fix and be healthier?

Brittany Sanchez said...

I know exactly what you mean. No matter H O W much filling food I eat. I A L W A Y S want to end it with a sweet little treat. (chocolate chip cookies espec.)Good for you for trying to cut back! I cut out soda about two years ago, but occasionally I'll sip on some of Jack's Dr. Pepper. I do have to say though...desks jobs don't help. I think sugar is mandatory to get through a day of sitting and staring at the computer! {sorry this is a mile long}

ashleynicole @ [real life, real love] said...

Soul sisters! I love sugarrrrrr! Donuts, cookies, candy bars, you name it. Haha maybe it's a good thing we don't live around each other to fuel that bad habit ;) (since for some reason, my husband does not love sugar like I do, and having a bestie that does might be problematic . . . I mean, sugar dates!) Oh, but if you did live here, I'd totally be taking you to this place since it looks amazing but somehow doesn't sound exciting or appealing to Russ.
But good for you for trying to be better! :)

Paige @ Reasons to Come Home said...

This cracks me up because I've been craving sugar so bad since my husband and I started fasting in the beginning of February. I didn't eat a ton of sugar throughout the day but always finished the day off with a handful of Oreos. The other night, I literally cried because I wanted a cookie but didn't want to break my streak. That's awful! And of course, this post doesn't help because now I want a cake pop! Haha!

Liz @ iheartvegetables said...

Haha I didn't used to eat that much sugar but I feel like in the past year I've been craving weird things like gummy bears!

Katie Elizabeth said...

Girl, I have a sugar problem too! It's gotten really bad lately as in I HAVE to have a little treat before bed every night so I've been considering giving up sugar for Lent - so hard but maybe needs to be done!

Kay R. said...

You really are the candy queen. I used to be as well but I can literally watch candy and put on weight so I had to stop haha

Kelli @ A Deeper Joy said...

Wow! That'd be hard when you're used to so much candy everyday. You can do it! I'm trying to make exercising a priority and it's just so hard right now but once I start going regularly, I think I'll enjoy it more :)

Copyright © 2014 Rose Gold & Ringlets | All Rights Reserved | Blog Design By: Kailyn Marie Designs