27 August 2015

Jonesin' for my Bones-y

Sooooo.

When Matthew and I were engaged we would talk about babies and animals often. We would brainstorm names for our babies and I would either try to convince Matthew that one day we needed a Doberman Pinscher or a Sphynx. At first I only suggested a Sphynx because I REALLY wanted a dobie and I thought for sure Matt would let me get one if his only other option was a naked wrinkly cat haha! After reading up on how high maintenance they are, however, I let it drop.

Then two years later we started trying for babies. We tried and tried with no luck and my heart broke into a million pieces. And yeah, we thought about fertility treatments, but those are scary for so many reasons because, first of all, the thought of raising a human without screwing it up is scary in and of itself! But fertility treatments? Thousands of dollars and countless tears and (possibly) many long exhausting, frustrating years without the guarantee of a baby? Negative pregnancy tests during treatment will be so much more painful than they are now, because I'll have hope. I'll be falling from a higher place. THEN I'll have to get over the hurdle of possible feelings of inadequacy if I do actually get pregnant?! At this point in my life, I just can't deal. And I'm okay with waiting until I can deal, because I guess a couple years isn't so bad in the long run.

But in the meantime, I still kinda need something to love. So I started seriously considering a naked cat again, and this time the "maintenance" didn't scare me so bad. More than that - somehow they had become cute to me! How did that even happen?! I fell in love with their exotic look and put myself down on a waitlist, being told that it could take up to a year to be offered a kitten. Well surprise surprise, I was offered offered a kitten this last week! Mattie and I considered the gender and colors and ultimately decided to accept him.


Next week we are going to visit the cattery to see if Matthew's allergies are affected by the naked cats, and if all goes well his name will Bones and he will be mine in 15 weeks. Fifteen whole weeks.

6 comments

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

awww so cute! do you follow pamela @ a little glitter? her husband is allergic so they had to get a fancy cat that apparently doesn't affect people with allergies? he's not naked, but he's adorable. but so is Bones, so I hope he will be yours in 15 weeks!

Rebecca Jo said...

I've heard that people with the worst allergies can tolerate those naked animals. Fingers crossed you get a new family member!!!

Brittany said...

Omygosh he's so little!! I hope it works out and you are able to get him!! 15 weeks is a long time! Why does it take almost twice as long as other cats? I'm fairly certain most cats it's 8-10 weeks like dogs right? :)

Kenzie Smith said...

That little guy is seriously the cutest thing! Carson has been wanting a kitten so bad but our dogs are jerks when it comes to smaller animals. I seriously hope you guys get him! I cannot wait to see more photos!

Kimberly said...

All I can think about is the episode of Friends where Rachel adopts one! I'm glad the wait wasn't as long as you thought!!

Rosalyn Skelton said...

Oh, Laynah! Your post is so touching. You really have such a beautiful mother heart. You capture so much love, joy, and life through your work with new families. My hope for you is that one day, all of that is given back to you through your own little one.

Copyright © 2014 Rose Gold & Ringlets | All Rights Reserved | Blog Design By: Kailyn Marie Designs